Moochness

Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Bookends Theme

I have a compilation CD of Simon & Garfunkel playing in my car at the moment - what musical geniuses they are (although in my opinion their joint work far outshines their individual pieces, particularly Paul Simon's). There's one particular little melody on the album called "Bookends Theme" which only runs for about a minute, but is one of the saddest little songs I've heard:

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you


It's a really simple song, with vocals accompanied by a single guitar fingerpicking the melody, and nothing else (guitar tab is here for anyone who's a muso). But there's just something about it that never fails to tug at my heart strings a little - perhaps also because the first time I heard it was while watching an episode of The Wonder Years, one of my favourite TV shows, during a particularly poignant scene. (As an aside, there was some brilliant 60s music played throughout Wonder Years episodes - check here.)

Anyways, I can't hear the Bookends Theme without getting a little reminiscent and sad about the days of yore, and thinking back to all those growing up experiences... and this leads me to one of my serious problems - my inability to throw ANYTHING out, for fear of losing the sentimental value attached to it. My family will attest to my disfunctionality in this area - my collection of crap includes all of my old toys and stuffed animals, all of my files and work books and notes from uni, high school, and even primary school (you never know when you might need them!), movie ticket stubs dating back to the early 80s, stationery (I am a big stationery freak - huge collection of patterned envelopes (not that I ever write any letters!), coloured pens, textas, pencils etc etc) and all other kinds of miscellaneous, useless rubbish.

The worst part is, that when I am trying to sort through things and pack things up, I inevitably end up spending the vast majority of my time looking through all this stuff and remembering little incidents associated with them. Like the container full of hole punch punchings that my friend and I were going to make a fortune out of in Year 4 by selling it as confetti. Or the list of Christmas songs with the lyrics rewritten to become songs about the teachers at my primary school. Or the pocket Nintendo games (remember Donkey Kong??) that I used to play when on long car trips with my family.

I blame Simon & Garfunkel entirely. Gotta preserve those memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home